Friday 19 February 2010

bad boys always catching your eye?

Recently, I found myself in an unusual situation. I was listening to 2 young men, aged 25-35ish, discussing women in the most disparaging and demeaning way. It was uncomfortable. One of the men has bipolar disorder.

Less than an hour later, in an argument which was, I'm unhappy to say, mainly my doing, a woman went to the man with Bipolar disorder seeking support. He was the complete opposite to how he had been such a short time before her arrival. Not having seen it before, I found his transformation incredulous.

Is this a true manifestation of Bipolar disorder? Or is it a good friend supporting another, so naturally protective? Is it a combination or just straight-forward manipulation?

My feeling is that it's all of these. Both genders tend to generalise at times but may not apply those values to everyone of that sex. If you are constantly flitting from one state-of-mind to another, then it's a challenge to discover exactly where you are. Some people, I know from being at the receiving end, will say things like:"I don't like foreigners but you are alright..."

Being aware of bipolar disorder, I listened to his comments and unsolicited advice on men, women, feelings, relationships and the universe. During the conversation, one word came to mind constantly: "hypocrite". I didn't say it out aloud - uncharacteristically (and probably making me one) - but meant it every other way. That's a conversation for a calmer time....

1 comment:

Keith said...

I doubt whether this man's behaviour had anything to do with bipolar disorder. It's difficult to say which, if either, of these attitudes represented his true nature. He could well have been playing up to some kind of perceived macho stereotype when in discussion with his male friend before switching to a more considerate persona when speaking to the woman. From what you say it sounds more like a case of ignorance and immaturity than any underlying mental health condition.