Thursday 3 October 2013

doctors accuse govt of huge cuts in surgeries' spending

Some years ago, my quick-thinking General Practitioner (GP) spotted what were early signs of pancreatic cancer. It's often misdiagnosed as diabetes. Had that happened, someone else would be writing this, I guess... If he did that with me, it's very likely he spotted many other cancer conditions early.

My feeling is that my GP was on a good salary. I know he has 3 children and we frequently spoke about him funding their aspirations. He retired this year. I'll miss him.

I'm not concerned about what salaries GPs earn. All of them would have gone through 7 or 8 years of training. I feel that if they are willing to invest that length of time getting skills in caring for others, then a high salary is not a bad thing. Far more than that is earned by couldn't-give-a-toss Investment Bankers and the Vice-Chancellor of Bath university.

Cutting GP budgets is a retrograde step that will benefit no one. It's an odd thing to do,  given the previous promises of giving GPs more control. Clearly, they didn't mean more money.

No comments: